Posted by : yankeesrj12 Sunday, May 12, 2013

It's the fifth and final day of our look at the network upfronts and today we finish with this years number one network, CBS .

CBS was its quiet self for a time this season and then the news began to come in.  CBS shocked many by passing on Beverly Hills Cop an picking up two single-camera comedies.  Is CBS starting to head in a new direction?  Even though I didn't think it'd happen, I fully believe a two hour comedy block is now coming to Thursdays.  Will it work though?

MONDAY
8 - How I Met Your Mother (final season)
830 - Mom (new)
9 - 2 Broke Girls
930 - Mike and Molly
10 - Person of Interest (new night and time)
Analysis: As much as I don't want CBS to put Mom in the 830 timeslot, I really (really) think they are going to go for it.  I'll be skeptical, but maybe all CBS needs is a kick in that timeslot and they're back in business. Since I expanded comedy to two hours on Thursday, Person of Interest got the boot from the night and came to Mondays.  I think it would work well and give CBS an opportunity to reclaim first place in the hour.  The show would still have a solid lead in and lighter-competition than its current home.  The rest of the night would remain the same.

TUESDAY
8 - NCIS
9 - NCIS: Los Angeles
10 - CSI (new night)
Analysis: I went back and forth on what to do with that pesky 10 o'clock timeslot.  In the end, I gave it to CSI.  Why?  CBS has tried numerous new series in the timeslot and none of them have stuck.  Perhaps CSI can finally give the network a somewhat acceptable number.  NCIS and NCIS: Los Angeles remain in their current timeslots, because I don't see CBS separating them, especially since we've seen repeat numbers for LA in the 8 o'clock timeslot.

WEDNESDAY
8 - Survivor
9 - Criminal Minds
10 - Intelligence (new)
Analysis: My original plan was to leave Wednesdays alone to give the typically-safe CBS some stability.  In the end, I thought it was a waste of the Criminal Minds lead in and moved CSI off the night.  Criminal Minds can still put up some 3.0 demos and there is no point in not giving a new series a shot at 10.  Intelligence could really click with the Criminal Minds audience and be a few ticks better than what CSI is doing now.

THURSDAY
8 - The Big Bang Theory
830 - Two and a Half Men
9 - Crazy Ones (new)
930 - We are Men (new)
10 - Elementary
Analysis: The Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men are staying put.  I can't picture CBS separating the two after only one season, unless they debut Mom and The Millers (both multi-camera) on the night.  In the 9 o'clock hour I went with the single-camera comedies, which should do respectable in the timeslot.  I thought about giving Person of Interest the 10 o'clock timeslot, but Elementary is too weak to be moved and I think CBS is too in love with the show not to keep it here.

FRIDAY
8 - Undercover Boss
9 - Hawaii Five-0 (new night and time)
10 - Blue Bloods
Analysis: I don't know what the Undercover Boss situation is for next season (is it simply filler again?) but because it's done very respectable I kept it in its current home.  Hawaii Five-0 makes the move to Fridays where it should be able to put up average-Friday CBS numbers (1.5-1.7).  I know its only doing that on Mondays, but the show screams success on Friday, and I'm not quite sure why.  Blue Bloods will round out the night, heading into its fourth season.

SUNDAY
7 - 60 Minutes
8 -  The Amazing Race
9 - The Good Wife
10 - The Mentalist
Analysis: The ratings have been pretty terrible this season, but I can't see CBS moving golden-child The Good Wife out of its home.  The Mentalist may make the move to Fridays (8?) but my money is on staying put at 10 o'clock.

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

We've Moved!

My Twitter Feed

Powered by Blogger.

- Copyright © Tonight on TV - Metrominimalist - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -